Categorized | Canadian Politics

Students who quit college because of strike can get tuition refund

Posted on 24 November 2017 by admin

And those who are staying enrolled can apply for up to $500 in financial aid, as government recognizes impact strike has had on student finances.

Students who quit college because of the five-week strike can get full tuition refunds, while those who are staying can apply for up to $500 in financial aid, Deb Matthews, the Minister for Advanced Education, said Monday.

The aid for full-time domestic and international students will cover unexpected costs such as child care, rebooked train and bus tickets and January rent.

“Over the past month, I have heard from students about hardships they have experienced as a result of this strike,” Matthews said in a statement issued as 12,000 faculty at colleges across the province reported for work following the passage of back-to-work legislation on Sunday.

Students return to class Tuesday and will see their semesters extended to Dec. 22, just three days before Christmas, meaning those who booked trips home may face additional fees to change their travel dates.

The aid money will come from the net savings colleges have from not paying their striking staff during the labour dispute. Students will apply to their college for the money. Applications are available later this week, the government said.

Payouts to students from the fund will not count against their Ontario Student Assistance Plan assessments.

Students receiving OSAP money who have their current semester extended and were likely to graduate by December 31 will receive additional assistance money for as long as their course program continues.

Any student deciding to quit college has two weeks to get a refund.

There are about 500,000 full- and part-time college students in Ontario.


Leave a Reply

Advertise Here
Advertise Here